Andrew McIntosh is a partner with Bereskin & Parr and leader of the Litigation practice group. His practice focuses on intellectual property litigation relating to patents, trademarks and trade secrets.
Andrew has significant litigation experience as trial and appellate counsel in a wide range of technologies including pharmaceutical, chemistry and polymer science, biotechnology, oilfield services, military defence, electronics, electronic document imaging, mechanical arts, and a variety of consumer products. He has pharmaceutical patent litigation experience including Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) proceedings, as well as infringement and impeachment actions. Between 2009 and 2011, Andrew was a founding partner in a boutique firm that focused on pharmaceutical patent litigation. He has appeared as counsel before the Federal Court, Federal Court of Appeal, Ontario Superior Court and Ontario Court of Appeal.
Andrew advises clients in evaluating and obtaining patents for chemical and mechanical inventions, and with respect to intellectual property due diligence issues.
He has written articles and given lectures on intellectual property litigation, and is the lead author on two chapters in a prominent textbook on Remedies in intellectual property litigation.
In free time Andrew can usually be found at a hockey rink, lacrosse field, or other minor sports venue either coaching or cheering on his two sons.
- LL.B., University of Windsor, 1993
- J.D., University of Detroit, 1993
- B.Sc. (Chem.), University of Western Ontario/Western University, 1990
- Registered Canadian Trademark Agent, 2005
- Registered United States Patent Agent, 1997
- Registered Canadian Patent Agent, 1996
- Admitted to the Ontario Bar, 1995
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Advocates’ Society (ADVS)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- College of Patent Agents and Trademark Agents (CPATA)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- Litigation Counsel of America (LCA)
- Law Society of Ontario (LSO)