Maria Wei is a member of the Electrical & Computer Technology practice group and the Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
Maria’s practice focuses on protecting electrical and computer-related inventions. She advises SMEs in strategically securing patent and design rights. Maria prepares and prosecutes patent applications for various technologies, including oil & gas equipment, imaging processes, robotics, medical devices, and computer software applications. She also assists clients with patentability, validity, and infringement searches and opinions.
Maria completed her undergraduate degree in electrical engineering. Her graduate research was focused on the energy management of hybrid electric vehicles. Maria worked in the electricity sector and the nuclear industry before attending law school. Prior to being admitted to the Bar, Maria was both a summer student and an articling student with the firm.
Outside of work, Maria enjoys spending time with her family and friends, and getting her kids outside for forest walks, bike rides, and fruit picking at local farms.
Maria is conversant in Mandarin.
- Juris Doctor, University of Toronto, 2014
- Master of Applied Science (Electrical Engineering), University of Waterloo, 2006
- Bachelor of Electrical Engineering (Electrical Engineering), McMaster University, 2004
- Registered Canadian Patent Agent, 2022
- Registered United States Patent Agent, 2022
- Admitted to the Ontario Bar, 2015
- Professional Engineer (P.Eng.), 2009
- Law Society of Ontario (LSO)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO)
- College of Patent Agents and Trademark Agents (CPATA)