Wynnie Chan is a partner, lawyer and registered trademark agent with Bereskin & Parr LLP where she is a member of the Trademarks Practice Advisory Group and the co-chair of the firm’s Advertising, Marketing and Regulatory law practice group.
Wynnie advises clients across diverse industries in trademark strategy, protection and enforcement. Her professional journey spans over 15 years in managing global trademark portfolios, clearing brands, prosecuting trademarks and navigating opposition, cancellation and infringement proceedings. Wynnie also consults clients on IP border enforcement, licensing and transactions, copyright, digital media and domain name acquisitions including representing clients in arbitrations and administrative proceedings undern the Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy (UDRP) and CIRA Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (CDRP).
Wynnie advocates for marketers, advertisers and agencies by providing pragmatic, strategic advice on advertising and regulatory compliance. She delivers timely, legal review of contests, sweepstakes, promotions, sponsorships, packages/labels and competitive claims across different media channels taking into account privacy concerns, anti-spam regulations and requirements set by the Quebec Charter of the French language.
Wynnie’s prior career as a marketing manager for business and consumer brands allows her to bring firsthand understanding of business marketing needs. Her unique viewpoint empowers her to offer practical advice for developing regulation-compliant marketing campaigns and a global trademark strategy.
Beyond her professional pursuits, Wynnie is a self-proclaimed foodie who enjoys exploring the world with her family to learn and sample local cuisine. She expresses her creative talents through cake artistry.
- J.D., Pace University School of Law, 2007
- B.Com, McGill University, 2000
- Registered Canadian Trademark Agent, 2013
- Admitted to the Ontario Bar, 2010
- Admitted to the New York Bar, 2008
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- Ad Standards Canada (ASC)
- Canadian Bar Association (CBA)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers (FACL)
- Law Society of Ontario (LSO)
- College of Patent Agents and Trademark Agents (CPATA)
- New York State Attorney Registration (NYSAR)